Traditionally, orchids have been among the favorite wedding flowers for centuries. The choice for orchids are based, not just upon their beauty, but upon several factors each of which I will discuss in this article. When it comes to flowers, personal taste dictates beauty. For some, roses are the most beautiful, for others it’s tulips, and so on. So why are orchids the choice for weddings, and with such a large variety of orchids, what exactly are the specific orchids of choice for weddings?
Let me answer the latter part of that question first. The three most common wedding orchids are Cattleya, Dendrobium, and Phalaenopsis orchids. Cattleya are not expensive and are a hardy breed. They can withstand more extreme temperature variations than many other orchids, and their blooms are sturdy and vibrant. Their single bloom makes an ideal choice as a centerpiece for a bridal bouquet or headpiece.
With their long spikes, Dendrobium orchids display a striking arrangement in cylindrical vases for an alter arrangement, or for a reception decor. Dendrobium orchids are easily wire wrapped for corsages and wired bridal bouquets. They are also a hardy breed and withstand a wide range of temperature changes also making them ideal for hot summer days outside, and cooler air-conditioned environments indoors.
The Phalaenopsis orchid is among the most popular orchid flower for its versatility in wedding arrangements including, bridal bouquets, cake decoration, buttonholes, centerpieces and more. Because the Phalaenopsis orchid is very easy to grow, it is a favorite among commercial growers. As a result, you will find these beautiful flowers most anywhere. There is also a wide variety of Phalaenopsis species to choose from. So if your best friend had Phalaenopsis for her wedding last year, you can too with another color.
Here are five reasons why orchids make the best flowers for weddings:
1. They Have A Long History and Symbolic Value. The Japanese for centuries have used the orchid for artistic expression. For the Japanese, orchids were favorite decorations as well as being used in artistic designs. The Roman and Greeks on the other hand, considered the orchid to be sacred, and represented love, sexuality, and virility. In early Greek times, the orchid was considered to determine the sex of an unborn child.
2. They Have Long Lasting Capabilities For Long Events. Orchids have been regarded as a very fragile plant, and very difficult to grow. In reality, many types of orchids are very hardy and tolerant to varying degrees of climate. For a flower to tolerate environments of home, church, outdoors, and reception halls, the orchid must have something going for it.
3. They Have A Wide Variety Of Colors. How many flowers have such a diverse variety of colors. Orchids come in white, red, orange, blue, purple, yellow, pink, and varying shades of each of the colors. What color doesn’t it come in?
4. They Have A Wide Variety Of Fragrances. Wedding orchids often are held close to people’s noses. As a result, a strong scented flower may not be appropriate due to allergies. Since the orchid does come in a wide variety of fragrances, you can choose a more subtle scented variety such as the Cattleya, Dendrobium, and Phalaenopsis.
5. They Have A Wide Variety Of Arrangements. As I discussed earlier, orchids, as a result of their incredible variety, lend themselves to being perfect in every floral arrangement for a wedding. Orchids are a great choice as a centerpiece for a bridal bouquet or headpiece, they make beautiful arrangements for the alter or reception hall, and they look great in cake, and clothing decorations.
It’s no wonder why orchids are the preferred choice for weddings. And with so many to choose from, you’ll have fun picking the one just right for your wedding.